The Parish & History
Burton is an ancient village with a history going back to roman times when a an unknown roman built his villa on the limestone escarpment looking to the west across the Trent valley. It was well established in 1086 when the lands in “Burtone” were recorded in the Domesday book. The ridge and furrow ploughing on the Lincoln edge and earthworks in the surrounding fields indicate the village was a thriving community in medieval times. For 350 hundred years from 1600, the village was dominated by the Monson family who established their family seat in Burton and built the Hall on the site of an old Tudor mansion. Until 1950 it was an estate village with its life and its inhabitants tied to the fortunes of the Hall and the estates.
The Monson connection was severed in 1951 when the hall and much of the village was sold. Since that time the attractive nature of Burton and its proximity to Lincoln have resulted in the building of several new houses, to give the intermix of new and old that is the village today. In 1969 the village with the surrounding parkland was designated as a Conservation Area and the conservation document published by the West Lindsey District Council , identifies the features and the buildings that give Burton its character. The names of many houses reflect both their function on the estate and the names of the Lord Monson’s long serving estate workers -
Others properties record the names of Monson family members with Mexborough house, Debonnaire cottage, Maud house and Essex house. It was however, with sadness that the name one of the new houses was changed from the delightful, M’ladi’s Walk to Rosewalk.
In 1851 the population of the village was 187 and 202 in 1951 but today it is around 150 reflecting smaller households and an ageing population who can think of no better place to live than in the peace and tranquility of Burton village! It is also popular with visitors and tourists that a keen to experience the beautiful British countryside. With many cheapflights available (Fly.com ) and Humberside airport not too far away, it’s no wonder so many are keen to visit this delightful destination. The summertime, in particular, offers some magnificent views and enjoyable examples of English country life. It remains a highly sought after location with the village set in beautiful countryside with yew hedges, parkland, trees and a dairy farm which adds to its rural character.
In 1841 Frederick Monson died aged only 32. His marriage to Theodosia Monson in 1832 was a disaster and the couple separated 2 years later. As the marriage was childless, the title and the estates at Gatton and Burton passed to his second cousin, William Monson who was born in Madras in 1796. Although the family ties were distant, linking back to the 2nd Baron, William Monson appears to have been well prepared for his accession to the title as the 6th Lord Monson of Burton. He found the estate in poor condition and heavily in debt. Gatton Hall was unfinished, Burton hall was in decay and the tenant farms from which his income was derived, starved of investment. He had no personal fortune so his immediate plan was to reduce his financial commitments by letting Gatton Hall (to Lady Warwick) and to refurbish Burton Hall as his family residence..... in the meantime he move to Florence .... to save money! He installed David Middleton as his house steward to oversee the repairs and improvements to the hall and to organise the estate workforce. Middleton was the perfect choice, scrupulously honest, fair but firm with traders and villagers alike. The tenanted farms Burton, South Carlton and Croft near Wainfleet were administered by his Land Agent, Willliam Brown who farmed at South Carlton.
In 1843 Monson appointed his brother-
The Revd Larken was an evangelical Christian, a radical intellectual, ambitious, energetic with a wide circle of contacts within the church and the Lincolnshire gentry. However his political beliefs would put him at odds with the Establishment and although he sought preferment to more lucrative and influential church appointments, he was to remain in Burton as Rector for 53 years until his death in 1895. The Burton living with only 200 inhabitants was hardly intellectually demanding so his energies were channelled into many different causes. He was founder of the “Penitent Females’ Home” in Lincoln which was designed “to reclaim the poor creatures who walk our streets”; he set up a cooperative mill in Lincoln, and on Sundays he would often preach 5 sermons -
A devoted family man with many interests, he must have seemed remote from his parishioners, except for one activity -